Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Putting Sofia to Bed



This is really hard. We are trying to teach Sofia to sleep through the night. Last night we tried the Ferber (spelling?) method. Basically we set Sofia in her crib and told her that we loved her and that she had to learn to sleep alone and then we left. She cried and cried and we would come to her every 15 minutes to tell her that we lovd her. It was soooooooooo sad. =( I went in her room this morning and she was just sitting there with a blank stare on her face. She didn't even smile or reach for me. Man this is killing me! It is the saddest thing when your daughter cries. The tough part is I know that this is what she needs. She needs to learn how to put her self to sleep...especially since we have another baby on the way. Yup another one!

In my job at the high school I hear a lot of students complain about their parents, or other teachers or school rules and it is so funny because a lot of times they just don't see how those authority figures want what is best for the students. I used hate that cliche "This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you." but now I really think that sometimes it is harder on the parent or the teacher to ground their child, or give a student a failing grade or let their 18 month old daughter cry herself to sleep.

I know I sound really old right now...I guess fatherhood can do that.

1 comment:

Belle.Amor.Photography said...

A lot of the time I try and think about why my parents are the way they are... it is hard, I had to do that with my nephew when my other one was being born and I had to look after him. No matter how bad I wanted to just comfort him he had to do it by himself.
Hang in there, she'll do it