Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Calvin and Lisa's Wedding at the Grotto in Portland Oregon

I've died and gone to photographer heaven. Calvin and Lisa's wedding last Saturday was definitely one I will never forget. Here are a couple statistics for you:

2 - Wedding Ceremonies.
13 - Hours of photography.
4 - Different Wedding Dresses.
1 - Full Choir.
2 - Tired Photographers.
1 - Happy Couple.

Lisa and Calvin had a traditional Vietnamese ceremony in the morning at her parents' house. As far as I understand the tradition, the groom and his family prepare gifts at his house and bring them to formally ask for the bride's hand at her parents' house. Then they have a traditional tea ceremony.

This traditional ceremony was by far my favorite part of the day. The attention to detail and all of the beautiful dresses were like a photography overload. At one point Lisa's mom was giving advice and small gifts to Lisa,and it was so touching both of them started to cry. It was very beautiful.

After the ceremony my dad and I (I hired my dad to 2nd shoot for this one) hopped in his car and followed the wedding party across Portland to the Grotto were we had a traditional Catholic ceremony. Then it was off to a restaurant for the reception.

I could go on and on with the details....but maybe it's better if you just watch the slideshow and see for yourself...bet you can't watch without crying!



p.s. Nicole Wagner , Portland's best makeup artist, did the honors of getting the bride ready!

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Tremendous work Chris! I love the angles and perspectives of so many of these. That warm natural light really brings out the colors.

Nicole Wagner Makeup said...

Oh Stop! you're too nice!!
Well, if I might add, Lisa was one of the sweetest brides i've EVER worked with! just a darling!!
Oh...and can I get number 57? the shot of the back of her hair! it's a great shot!! thanks:):)
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Chris!! You really outdid yourself! We are so thrilled with the pictures! You and your dad were awesome! We are so thankful!!!

Chris said...

Thanks guys! It was a great day!

Elisa Street said...

Chris...you really captured a lot of emotion...(i didn't cry) but I was moved...

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.