Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Things I've Learned


I was thinking the other day about two principles that I've really learned while in business and how I was introduced to them a long time ago. The first, "Do Your Best" is the Cub Scout motto. I always thought it sounded kind of cheesy and maybe even a little apologetic like, "Who cares if I didn't do a good job, I guess I just did my best." But the truth is when I come home at 1 a.m. after a wedding and stay up until 3 a.m. editing and posting pictures on my blog so that the bride and groom can look at themselves the next day, I know I've done my best. I've laid it all on the line and done everything I possibly can to provide my clients with the best possible service. I lay down at night exhausted but feeling fullfiled and satisfied that I did my very best. I think my clients appreciate that effort, and the results that it produces. Am I perfect? No. Do I make mistakes? Yes. The truth is that we all do. However, when a bride and groom book me they can know that I am going to do my very best work from engagement session to the album design every single time.

The other principle I've learned is "Be Prepared." This is the Boy Scout motto. It totally applies to the wedding photography business. I think of being prepared mostly in having all my equipment in order and really knowing how to use it. Because I'm prepared for most anything that can happen at a wedding, I'm not nervous or scared that I'm going to miss shot. I can honestly say that I really enjoy myself at weddings. I'm working hard, no doubt, but by being prepared I'm free from the fear of screwing up and that allows me to relax, have a good time, and interact with people naturally. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think being prepared is doing all the worrying before the wedding, so that I can concentrate on capturing those timeless moments during the wedding.

Anyways...the moral of the story is, do your best, be prepared, and try to apply all those good things people have taught you years ago. Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

Oh and here is the original newspaper clipping of me when I earned my Eagle Scout award.(and yes I earned the Photography Merit Badge!)

1 comment:

anitawarnick.com said...

hey chris,
I really liked reading this post. Thank you for the reminder to do your best. All too often I think we try and do things the quickest, easiest way, while forgetting to take pride in what we do. I especially want to apply "doing my best" and "being prepared" to school this semester, instead of just "getting the grade". Luv ya,
your lil sis :-)