Tuesday, May 6, 2008

High Schoolers are honest

Do you want to know how you are doing at something? Ask a high schooler. I have the privelege of working with 100 teanagers who really like to tell me what is on their minds every day. Some recent comments include: "Wow Mr. Becerra, your bald spot is getting bigger every day." and "Hey Mr. Becerra that is a really ugly shirt."

Today I got a very interesting comment. During a discussion on creativity I was explaining that I used to participate in a program called Odessey of the Mind. It was a program intended to foster creativity in k-12 sudents. One of my students yelled, "Becerra you've been holding out on us, this is so interesting, you should blog about this kind of stuff and your blog would be a whole lot more interesting."

So basically he was saying my blog is boring. I have to agree latley I haven't been a faithful blogger and I apologize. I'm going to make an effort to share more personal experiences on the blog and keep it a little more entertaining.

So in the spirit of sharing, and since we are talking about high schoolers, I thought I'd post this picture I took of one of my classes. We were talking about how to pose groups and that photographers often pose larger groups by posing smaller groups first and trying to make small triangles that connect together to form one big triangle.
After looking at how Annie Leibovitz used this technicque to photograph various covers of Vanity Fair (like the one below) my students begged me to recreate a similiar style with them. We all ran outside by the dumpster and came up with this shot. I like it, but, I just got say Annie I ain't!

5 comments:

Tonya said...

Great blog, Chris! I have to say that you can walk into any elementary school as well and receive the same honesty. Two of my favorite comments were...

"Boy, your arms are hairy"

and

"Are you pregnant?" (I wasn't pregnant)

Good self-esteem boosters :)

Chris said...

Yeah someone commented! See High Schoolers are honest!
Anyway, I totally agree kids can be pretty brutal, but then it is rewarding when they tell you the good things you do too.

Unknown said...

ok, so i read your blog, and all i have to say is "how come katie and emma-kate get to be on your blog and i don't?!" :)

Chris said...

Wow Laurel...I didn't know that being on my blog was so prestigous!

misserin said...

...

You spelled "teenagers" wrong.